This month, Makina Benefits’ Employee Spotlight shines on Jennifer Mendez. Gifted with the Art of Negotiation, she is proud to be able to help members and their families navigate resources, savings and benefits available to them. Solving problems and creating solutions motivates her at work because she is always up for a challenge!
Get to know a little more about her in our recent interview:
- What is your job title? Manager of Claims & Patient Advocacy
- Do you have any mentors in your professional life? My boss, Steve McArthur, he is patient, kind and has lots of professional experience.
- What was your first paying job? Working at Wendy’s at age 15
- What is the best place you’ve traveled to? Honolulu, Hawaii when my parents lived there for a year. It was everything I hoped it would be.
- Where did you work before this position? Saint Francis Health System, Tulsa Oklahoma
- Do you have any pets? Yes, two cats named Raven and Marshall and one
- Dog, Bella. I rescued a 3-legged kitten 2 nights ago, name has yet to be determined.
- Are you a coffee or tea person? While I like both, I find myself drinking more coffee.
- What show are you currently binge-watching? We always seem to have Parks & Recreation or The Office on at home while we are cleaning or cooking. I love those shows.
- What is your favorite memory? My wedding day, the day my husband and I started our life together.
- What is the best compliment you’ve ever received? When I was recruited by a professional modeling agency at age 21.
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? A singer, like Dolly Parton who was my favorite singer.
- What is your least favorite chore around the house? Laundry, it never ends!
- What is your favorite holiday? This is a tough one, I think its mostly Halloween. I was born in October, fall really becomes evident in October so its just my favorite time of the year.
- Do you play any sports? In school I was a cheerleader for 4 years, played basketball and ran field and country for 1 year and played soccer for 3.
- Do you like roller coasters? I absolutely love them! My first management job was in a restaurant in the Kings Island theme park where I worked every summer during high school.
- What is your favorite season? Fall, not too hot, not too cold, just right.
We are lucky and grateful to have someone as dedicated and professional on our team, thanks Jennifer!