The chemical reactions you experience in your body are known as metabolism. Your metabolism is what keeps your body alive and thriving! Maintaining a high metabolism will give your body the energy it needs to make you feel healthy. Here are ten ways you can help your body be at optimum metabolic levels!
- Eating food rich in protein increases your metabolism for hours
- The thermic effect of food also known as TEF, is caused by the extra calories your body needs to digest, absorb, and process the nutrients in your meal.
- So when you eat more protein, you are boosting your metabolism so that you burn more calories. Protein also has shown to help you feel fuller and prevent overeating
- People who drink water instead of soda and other drinks high in sugar are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off
- Drinks that contain high sugar contain calories, when you replace them with water this naturally will reduce your calorie intake each day you avoid them.
- This calorie-burning effect could be even greater if you drink COLD water. Your body uses energy to heat it up to body temperature, thus helping burn more calories
- Water also helps give you that “full feeling”. Drinking water 30 minutes before your meal can help you eat less
Do High-Intensity Workouts
- High-intensity interval training (HIIT) involves quick and very intense bursts of activity
- You can burn more fat and calories when you increase your metabolic rate, even after you have finished your workout
- This nice effect is thought to be greater for HIIT than for other types of exercise. Bonus! HIIT has also been shown to help you burn fat
- It is known that muscle is metabolically more active than fat, so building muscle can help increase your metabolism
- By lifting weights, you will burn more calories each day, even when at rest
- Lifting weights is very important to help build and retain muscle. The higher amount of muscle your body has, the higher the metabolism rate you will have.
Standing is Good
- A sedentary life is not good for you. It is understood that sitting too much is bad for your health
- An afternoon of standing up at work can burn an extra 174 calories
- So, If you have a desk job, try standing for short periods to break up the length of time you spend sitting down. Although expensive, a standing desk makes for a great investment in your overall health
Go with the Green Tea
- Green tea and oolong tea are very popular drinks that can also increase metabolism by 4–5%
- These teas convert some of the fat stored in your body into free fatty acids, which can increase fat-burning by 10–17%
- When you drink green tea or oolong tea, you may increase your metabolism. These teas have been known to assist you to lose weight and help keep it off
Spicy Foods are a Great Metabolic Booster
- Peppers contain capsaicin, this is a substance that can help boost your metabolism
- The effects of adding peppers to your food alone may be small. But, it could lead to a slight advantage when combined with other metabolism-boosting strategies
- Consuming spicy food can be beneficial for boosting your metabolism and help you maintain a healthy weight
Get a Full Night’s Sleep
- Lack of sleep is linked to a major increase in the risk of obesity
- This could be caused by the negative effects of sleep deprivation on metabolism
- Lack of sleep has also been linked to increased blood sugar levels and insulin resistance, which are both linked to a higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- At least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep are needed to maintain what your body needs to be completely rested
Coffee is Your Friend
- The caffeine in coffee may also help boost metabolism by 3–11%. Like green tea, it also promotes fat burning
- Coffee’s effects on metabolism and fat burning may also contribute to successful weight loss and maintenance
- Drinking coffee can significantly increase your metabolism and help you lose weight
- Of course, drinking coffee should be in moderation
Replace those Unhealthy Fats
- Coconut oil is relatively high in medium-chain fats, unlike other oils and fats
- Medium-chain fats like coconut oil can increase your metabolism more than the long-chain fats found in foods like butter or lard
- Replacing unhealthy cooking fats with coconut oil may help boost your metabolism even if slightly.
Making small lifestyle changes and incorporating these tips into your routine can increase your metabolism. Having a higher metabolism can help you lose weight and keep it off, while also giving you more energy.