Based on the Dimensions of Wellness a study by Roger Williams University there are five main aspects of personal health: physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual. None of these areas should be neglected in order to maintain your overall wellness.
- Light to moderate exercise, even half an hour a day, three times a week improves your health.
- Choose healthier alternatives at the table, whether you cook at home or go out to eat, there are always ways to eat clean.
- Avoid heavy drinking and have a glass of water in between drinks. Be conscious about what you are drinking, sugary drinks and beer can be significantly higher in calories than vodka tonics, for example.
- Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep every night.
- Change your attitude and maintain a positive attitude even in the toughest of times.
- Manage your time wisely, it helps lower your stress levels
- Talk to your confidant, don’t keep it inside, share your feelings with someone you trust
- Seek professional help when you need it.
- Get involved. Whether it’s in school or in your community, there are a variety of clubs and organizations that may interest you. Better yet, become a volunteer!
- Reach out to your support group, know who you can count on.
- Recognize when you are in an unhealthy relationship.
- Balance your social life with your academic and/or work responsibilities.
- Meditate. Meditation will bring your calm, inner peace, and wellness.
- Become active in your church and/or volunteer.
- Gratitude. Be grateful for what the universe has given you.
- Keep up with current affairs.
- Never stop learning, read, or take up a foreign language, learn a new skill.